Free Wheelin' 5 or 6 day adventures help you discover the hidden gems in the Comox Valley, Campbell River, as well as Quadra, Denman, and Hornby islands. Available on the dates that work best for you, our self-guided tours are designed for the independent traveler. They offer fully-organized travel packages that combine the freedom of traveling on your own with meticulously planned routes and behind-the-scene support.
This Adventure Includes
- Ocean/river view accommodations
- 5 or 6 days of stunning cycling, with a variety of carefully designed route options
- Use of fully-equipped hybrid bike (Giant Escape) plus helmet and accessories - electric bikes available for additional cost
- 2 luggage transfers
- Bike bags to hold your supplies for the day, first aid kit, tire changing supplies
- Detailed pre-trip information summary
- A complete tour package including maps and cue sheets, digital maps, history and facts, and all of our favourite stops
- Recommendations of best foodie stops in town
- On-call emergency support
- Island Joy Rides water bottle
- Island Joy Rides t-shirt (or upgrade to Sugoi jersey for $60)
- Travel to Vancouver Island
- Meals (except ones listed in itinerary)
- Personal expenses
- Up to you! Tell us your preferred dates and we will take care of the rest!
General Itinerary for Free Wheelin' 5
Arrival and Meet 'n Greet
Arrive at the Kingfisher Oceanside Resort and Spa at your leisure. Meet us at your convenience to fit your bikes and prepare for your cycling adventure.
Day One: Discover Courtenay’s Forests and Waterfalls (48.5 km)
Today's ride is filled with nature and local flavours. You'll explore beautiful rivers, majestic forest trails, and gentle waterfalls - offering a chance to unwind and relax into your holiday. Let the ocean waves lull you to sleep a the Kingfisher Resort this evening.
Day Two: Funky Cumberland and/or Comox (36 or 70 km)
Once a coal mining city, Cumberland is climbing to its feet and putting on new duds as a niche community and dynamic tourist destination. Its history, funky vibe, and eclectic locals make it a fun place to explore. If you're looking for more, explore the seaside town of Comox. From vineyards to forests called "a place of serenity and beauty," this seaside town is waiting to be discovered. Enjoy the fresh, salty air at the Old House Hotel and Spa this evening.
Day Three: Coastal Cycle to Campbell River (54 km)
After breakfast, cycle north to Campbell River, (renowned as the Salmon Capital of the World). Your route will take you through secret farms and beside the ocean. Keep your eyes open for seals, eagles and even whales as you soak in the breathtaking scenery on your coastal cycle.
Day Four: Quadra Island (21 or 40 km)
There's something special about an island. As you board the little ferry it feels as if you're escaping to another world - leaving all your troubles behind. Beautiful beaches, a First Nations village, a few hills, and coastal trails make this a day to remember.
Day Five: Campbell River (25 or 54 km)
Cycle to Elk Falls, our 25m waterfall, nestled in a majestic old growth forest. The natural beauty of this place will take your breath away. If you'd like to ride longer, meander through the forest in the heart of our city and along the coast back to your hotel. Count on finishing your tour in Campbell River between 2:00 and 3:00.
Free Wheelin' 6 - add Denman and Hornby Islands (44 or 66 km)
PLEASE NOTE: Your tour ends in Campbell River. Fly, take the express bus, or book our shuttle back to Courtenay.
Please Contact us for more details.