Sip & Savour is an intimate, memorable, and unique opportunity to connect with the people, the food, and the places that make Vancouver Island's East Coast so spectacular. It’s about cycling through breathtaking scenery while breathing in the fresh, salty air; relaxing in a Hydropath Spa after an invigorating scenic ride through history; watching majestic whales breech so close you feel you can reach out and touch them; savouring a locally-sourced wine-pairing dinner prepared by our private chef; engaging with like-minded people.
It has been said that ‘active travel is the difference between looking at life and living it’. We invite you to live life - sip, savour, and cycle - and leave the rest to us.
- Monday, June 25 to Saturday, July 1
- Monday, August 13 to Saturday, August 19
- Monday, September 10 to Saturday, September 15
- $2,799 pp plus 5% GST
- Single supplement: $500
At a Glance
- Duration: 5 nights and 6 days
- Explore: Comox Valley, Campbell River and Quadra Island
- Difficulty: 2.5 out of 5 (we do our best to keep you along the coast and away from hills)
Included in this Experience
- 5 breakfasts, 5 lunches, snacks/cold beverages throughout tour, and 3 dinners - one featuring local seafood and wine-pairing at Laurel’s house (Laurel owns Island Joy Rides)
- 5 nights in our favourite accommodations
- Hydropath spa at Kingfisher Oceanside Resort and Spa on Day 2
- Whale watching on Day 4
- Support and services of our experienced local guides
- Van to support a variety of route options
- Ferry to Quadra Island
- Detailed pre-trip information package
- Maps and cue sheets
- All gratuities at hotels and restaurants
- Use of fully equipped hybrid Giant Escape bike plus helmet and accessories
- Baggage transfers and porterage
- Return shuttle to Kingfisher Oceanside Resort and Spa
- Island Joy Rides cycling jersey (Sugoi)
- Island Joy Rides water bottle
- Alcoholic beverages beyond wine pairing
- Gratuities for guides
- Personal expenses
Day One: Discover Courtenay’s Forests and Chocolate (45 km)
We gather at 9:00 am at the Kingfisher Oceanside Resort and Spa to fit your bikes and prepare for this week’s adventure. Follow the coast and quiet roads through the farms and forests of Courtenay. It’s the only city in the valley, but its low-rise buildings, flower-filled streets and genuine friendliness make it feel more like a village. If Courtenay has ambitions, they don’t include big city stress. We dine together tonight at the Kingfisher Oceanside Resort and Spa.
Day Two: Funky Cumberland followed by Hydropath Spa (35 km - with option to ride longer)
Once a coal mining city, Cumberland is climbing to its feet and putting on new duds as a niche community and dynamic tourist destination. Its history, funky vibe, and eclectic locals make it a fun place to explore. After our invigorating ride, relax with a Hydropath experience at the Kingfisher Spa (or skip that and ride longer with one of our guides – it’s your holiday!). Enjoy dinner on your own tonight, with our recommendations.
Day Three: Coastal Cycle to Campbell River (62 km)
After breakfast, we head north to Campbell River, (renowned as the Salmon Capital of the World). Keep your eyes open for seals, eagles and even whales as you soak in the breathtaking scenery on your coastal cycle. We take you to our favourite restaurant tonight.
Day Four: Whale Watching in Discovery Passage
Our area boasts natural beauty both on the land and in the ocean. Today offers a chance to experience our seaside region from a different perspective.
Day Five: Quintessential Quadra Island (33 or 44 km) and Wine-Pairing Dinner
There's something special about an island. As you board the little ferry it feels as if you're escaping to another world - leaving all your troubles behind. Beautiful beaches, a First Nations village, and coastal trails make this a day to remember. Tonight our private chef pairs fresh, local seafood with Vancouver Island wines at Laurel’s house on the Campbell River (Laurel owns Island Joy Rides) – an authentically local experience.
Day Six: Homeward Bound – or stay a little longer!
After breakfast, shuttle back to the Kingfisher Oceanside Resort and Spa – or plan to stay in Campbell River a few more days to enjoy all it has to offer.
We can tell you how unique, authentic and engaging our cycling experiences are, but it's better if you hear it from our guests:
We were a self-contained BIG group of 22 and Laurel and her crew made our trip a seamless adventure with great rides, outstanding food, and dozens of personal touches like cool towels to greet us after a day of riding. The bikes were excellent and the additional fun trips like whale watching day and kayaking made it even more special. Recommend ISLAND JOY RIDES to all levels of cyclists. This is a great outfitter.
Reviewed 9 September 2017
Every Detail Considered!
Oh my.... what a wonderful experience! Great way to experience some nuggets of what the island has to offer. Thank you to Laurel and her team (Jerram and Ron) who truly know how to put "joy" into joy rides! See you again soon!
Click Here for more reviews